Our Director Development Programme helps to improve effectiveness and impact. Most of us come to Directing because we were good at something else and because we stuck around. So it’s not surprising that training and development would greatly benefit the approach of many.
We provide development programmes with integrated elements designed specifically to meet your needs.
Courses are run with a mixture of:
- Input – models and frameworks
- Case Studies – focusing on specific areas of weakness
- Simulations – re-creating difficult situations such as making an investment decision or deciding to stop doing something
- Real-life application – an Action Learning approach where each programme participant implements actions between stages of the programme
Lots of Director programmes are dry and dull, run by quasi-academics. This programme is none of those things. It is real, fast paced and highly interactive.
Some of the other elements we might include in the design are:
- 360 degree feedback. We have a variety of well-tested methods and software to do this. People who go through it report it as extremely helpful.
- Competency reviews on core skills. Using our Core Director competency framework, we evaluate participants to identify development needs.
- Duties and Responsibilities of Directors. A lecture to explain the way this has changed and define the specific duties of a Director. Some case studies on Director negligence are discussed and a self-assessment is undertaken.
- Strategic Direction and Planning. Depending on the level of strategic understanding, we have a wide range of options here. One excellent option is Business Model Canvas, where we use a structured approach to look at the underlying business model, competitive advantage, critical activities, resource allocation, core competences. It’s highly interactive and highly practical and teaches strategy brilliantly.
- Market evaluation. Directors constantly need to be evaluating markets – existing and/or new. Selecting the right markets to play in essential to growth. They need to review size, segmentation, competitive intensity, evolution of needs, market position and modes of entry. We provide a structured way to do this well, based on a very large body of research into understanding customer requirements and purchasing behaviour.
- People and Performance Management. What are the core capabilities required by your business model? How do you develop an effective structure? What processes do you want to put in place for managing performance? What performance measures do you need to use?
- Financial Management. What are the Director’s responsibilities for financial management? How to read each of the financial statements. Ensuring the business has appropriate financial and risk controls. How do you allocate capital optimally?
I have worked with Jim through a business development course and found him to have been absolutely brilliant and I'm pleased to have had the opportunity to learn from his experience.
Tara Leigh Mcvey
Principal Consultant / URS Corporation
Jim has an amazing quality to connect with people and really inspire them to make changes that get real results.
My team are always fired up and ready to make things happen after a session with Jim.
He is also a thoroughly nice guy...such a pleasure to work with!
MD and Author / The Sales Consultancy
Jim ran some very effective Assessment Centres. He also facilitated a number of workshops and meetings to help the team capture Best Practice. Jim was always very accessible and ready to provide fresh thinking and new ideas. He has a vast knowledge base and his genuinely cheerful and positive energy cut through ambiguity and vague thinking, helping you to arrive at very results oriented and practical actions that make a difference.
MD / Inspired Working
I first came across Jim in about 2001 when I was looking at putting on a series of breakfast marketing seminars for SMEs- Jim had creative ideas and was well received by those attending. I found him easy to work with and delivered the results I needed. I then came across Jim in 2009 when he delivered some workshops for Business Link on working with SMEs - he has a great presenting style and delivered great results
Practice Manager / Stanford Medical Centre
Jim is an ultimate professional who I have worked with on the Royal Haskoning Business Development Programme. His key skill is his ability to identify an individuals strengths and work at developing that. Jim is personable and creative in his approach to coaching. As far as I am concerned he has been at the forefront of making the Royal Haskoning Business Development Programme a success.
Scientist / Royal HaskoningDHV, Global Engineering Company
I have worked with Jim over many years; he has the genuine ability to enthuse and motivate individuals and teams to excellence. He is an absolute pleasure to work with and is innovative, totally reliable, very approachable and open to new ideas at all times. I can't recommend Jim highly enough.
CEO / The Art of Balance Ltd
Jim ran a business development programme for fifteen of my staff at Royal Haskoning. Our primary aim was to change the culture of our approach to sales: to be more proactive in developing and closing opportunities. Jim's approach was fantastic throughout the programmme. He has a pragmatic and down to earth style that really inspires people to follow through. He is focussed on delivering great outcomes and the team have been truly fired up to make a difference. I have no hesitation in recommending Jim.
Business Unit Director Maritime and Waterways - UK, Asia, Australia / Royal HaskoningDHV
Get in touch
We are always happy to have a chat about your needs without obligation. Drop us a line or give us a call.